Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Holy Sickness Batman

So I'm glad that I was able to at least avoid sickness until this late in the season, but man am I finally fed up and done with quarantining my children in order to overcome the nasty colds we've been dealing with.  To top it off, Hayden slept really bad a week ago and was moody and emotional the whole day and finally at 3:30 in the afternoon, he complained that his right ear hurt.  Concerned, I called the doctor to try to go in, but they didn't have openings until the next day and I had to take the afternoon because my OB appointment was already in the morning.  By the time we got to the doctor, Hayden had become himself again and slept through the night.  The doctor told us it was because of his ear drum popping and no pressure was built up anymore.


Great, I failed my child by not getting him in sooner.  Is his hearing screwed up?  The doctor told me that his ear will heal with scar tissue closing it up, but if it happens more than a few times, THEN there could be hearing loss or damage that occurs.  We'll have to watch his ear like a hawk now, but I'm glad I know what to look for now.  We were sent home with two prescriptions.  THe first is an oral antibiotic that he takes twice a day and then ear drops that happen twice a day too but these had benzoyl product in them so the two days of applying them were excruciating for Hayden and hard for me to watch him and hold him down so the drops can work their "magic."  Yeesh.  At least we're healthy again.

No comments: