Monday, March 30, 2009

Rude Lady

Today, I decided to attempt to go to Joann's for some fabric to be able to start 2 new projects for sewing.  Today, I also realized why I don't like going places with both of my kids.  To top it off, a rude lady who liked to express her comments in ear shot of you was throughout the store wherever I went.


We entered the store and things were going fine.  Then I turned a corner and Hayden had magically decided to be on the floor with his hand in the path of the cart (after we had just had a conversation to stay right by me and don't jump or crawl or hide).  So the screaming in agony ensues and Hadley starts to act up and get mad because she can't run off from me with her leash on.  While trying to console Hayden and have him stop crying, she retaliates and decides to hit me in anger.  I then grab her and sit her down on my lap in the store to give her a time out.  I keep asking Hayden to stop crying, but he keeps at it.  From there, I realize, I should have just walked out and sat in the car until things had settled and cleared, but my stubbornness got the best of me and I decided to be one of those parents to ignore and try to finish if they don't calm down.

Before we started walking again, Hayden did finally calm down and I moved Hadley into the cart until she could be good again.  From there, she did her normal tantrums to voice her opinion and from there, I started hearing loud comments from an older woman in the store who was with her husband.  She kept saying comments like, "That is so embarassing and what is she thinking."  or "I can't believe her."  or "Doesn't she know how to control her kids?", etc.  The snide remarks continued and the disgusted stares also continued every time I was around.

I was upset with the lady who had no clue about my kids, what had happened and to keep saying things about my kids and I as I tried to finish my main goal.  She happened to be near me in 4 of the 5 spots I needed to look in through the store.  At one point, I was close to looking her straight in the eyes and say, "I'm sorry my kids are bothering you, but you have no right to judge me and speak those kinds of comments in ear shot of me."

I didn't end up saying anything and my kids finally quieted down, but it was still frustrating for me to have to deal with her snide comments while dealing with my kids on top of everything.  Some people should think more clearly before reacting to people in public.

2 comments:

Keyonna said...

sorry you had to deal with that. Some people can be so rude!

Kennedy said...

I HATE people like that. I have finally started saying something back since I think the only reason that rude people don't shut it is cause no one ever tells them to. When I grocery shop I usually take Cadence with me (if not both girls) and I will let her scan the items at the self check out. She LOVES it and to be honest it doesn't take that much longer. So a couple of weeks ago there was a lady waiting to use self check out (there are like 6 counters so it wasn't just me holding her up) and we happened to be closest to her. She actually asked me (with a look of disgust on her face) "Are you going to let her scan EVERY thing?" I just looked at her for a second and then said, "Did you really just say that out loud? And YES I will let her scan each and every item in the cart. And NO it is none of your darn business if I do!" The woman turned all beet red and waited for the next open counter mumbling something under her breath, but she didn't bug me any more.
Really...in your case I would had looked at her and said something like, "Excuse me, but I can HEAR you just fine. How I choose to parent isn't ANY of your business." Darn annoying rude people. I have come to the conclusion that they either didn't have any kids or the just don't remember what it was like when their kids were little. That or they never attempted to take them anywhere. Good for you for trying to press on!