Sunday, June 22, 2008

All My Wisdom Is Finally Lost

Monday morning, I went in to get my wisdom teeth out.  There was never a need to before so I kept them up until now.  The bottom two were compacted and just collecting big cavities so it was best to finally lose them.  I was an emotional wreck that morning.  I don't do well with needles.  I've never enjoyed them and that was the one part of this experience I hadn't looked forward too.  I had done surgery in my mouth before though.  Back in sixth grade, I had surgery to bring my second front tooth down.  It was being blocked by the other teeth causing me to have about 6 school pictures with either one or both missing.  Anywho, I'm digressing.  So I went in and they got me calmed down and they used this amazing stuff to freeze the area for the IV so I ended up feeling nothing which was nice.  The nurse over me was really good about getting me to talk about other things while waiting too which helped.  They hooked me up to heart monitors and put oxygen tubes in my nose too.  I got this amazingly comfy blanket before they started and the nurse told me as soon as the doctor comes in, they are going to put a bite block in my mouth and then start the anesthesia.  Sure enough, he did and the only thing I remember is the doctor telling me to think of happy thoughts and the bite block going in and then I was out.  An hour later, I woke up with the oxygen tube gone and just sitting in a chair.  It was weird.  They brought Jared in soon after and gave me my TLC bag complete with filled prescription and we were on our way (in a wheel chair of course because I take a while to recover after these experiences).  I felt super out of it and tried to sleep a lot even though I have a hard time falling asleep on command.  The hydracodone was nasty though because it made me puke every time I was on it which didn't help me get back into shape quickly.  I finally connected the two and after having a really hard morning/afternoon of throwing up on Thursday, I decided to skip that route all together.  I'm still a little tender back there, but I'm rinsing to try to help that out.  All in all, it was a pretty crazy experience and now I am four teeth fewer in my count.  Sorry if I don't have pictures for this post.  I actually got kind of lucky in that department.  I didn't swell up like a chipmunk like a lot of people do.  I only had minor swelling in the back so I looked a little big, but not picture worthy.  Sorry folks.  Better luck next time :0)

4 comments:

JLMartin said...

Oh Sarah! Call me and let me know how you are! lacey

Amanda J said...

I'm glad it went well. How are you feeling?

Jamoke said...

Aw - I could have taken pictures of the gory stitches, or better yet the gauze and scars! That would have completed your post (and driven away readers)

Aragon said...

Hi Sarah, it's good to keep up with you and see your blog! We just moved to NM for Mario to start school!