Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Scouting For Food Mess

Upfront, I just want to state that I am fine organizing things and putting events together, but when a wrench gets caught in my plans, I tend to have a kanipchen that leads to ulcers, stress or something else in my mind.


Every November, the scouts do Scouting for Food and different packs and troops claim areas of the city and deliver and pick up bags of donated food to deliver to Smith's for the food drive. I was already concentrating on doing the recharter before deadline and the scouts decided to put this in the middle of it as well.

I had things all figured out until the Sunday before Wednesday when we had planned on distributing the bags in our area. That Sunday, I received a phone call from the counselor of the primary over me in our church and she informed me that since there was a primary activity on Wednesday and next week is Thanksgiving, we should cancel the den meetings for both weeks. I immediately spazzed out and informed her that we were planning on doing our scouting for food drop off that night. She asked if we could move it so I had to start making A LOT of phone calls to see who of the boys as well as the leaders, could make this change in schedule to help out. I had the boys meet at my house since I had my kids and no husband until a little later. I managed to have 4 leaders and a parent around to help with our boys. The parent took his own boy and covered their neighborhood and the other two groups split up to cover the rest of the neighborhoods assigned. They met back at my house for pick up and brownies.

Among all that, my kids were cranking due to poor naps and hadn't eaten yet because of my lack of preparation to feed my kids among the chaos. I had Jared bring Little Ceasers home for us since I couldn't come up with a solution. All in all, I survived Tuesday night with part of my sanity in tact. On Saturday, during lunch, we scheduled to pick up all the bags left out by the doorsteps. I was kind of concerned since I hadn't heard from a leader or two whether they could help or not so I kept hoping everything would turn out fine since leaders were calling and saying they couldn't help out any more.

I had the boys meet next door at one of the leaders house's and after waiting a little with only three leaders, I was in a bind because Scouts requires two deep leadership with boys so we didn't have the numbers to split into two groups. I ended up asking if they one wife would join his husband and she agreed and I felt relieved. Everything worked out in the end and it made me happy, but YEESH people. No more surprises!

No comments: