Sunday, July 25, 2010

Edumacation!

So it's been roughly nine years since I first embarked on my college education. The early hopes of one day becoming the next Diane Sawyer were fresh in the brain. I had a back-up plan to become a producer of a church film coming if the first goal didn't pan out very well.


Now, here I am, 27 years old and still not graduated. Sadly, Fall of 2011, my credits will start expiring on me if I don't hustle into some serious action so on that note, I am graduating in July with my Associates of Science!

I am very excited about this idea. I have always wanted some degree showing that my 90 credits previously earned, have not been in vain. I did a bunch of calling to three different institutions, trying to figure out the best route for me in the pursuit to save my credits and I found a winner!

Initially, when I spoke with the school whom I have 90 credits with, they told me I only have 3 courses left before I can get my Associates, but need to take my last 15 credits there as a requirements before graduating. I said, "Ok. I can do that. I'll just take some religion courses and stuff for fun."

After several more phone calls, I finally talked to a supervisor in the advising department and they told me since I have taken 90 credits already, I can file a graduation and petition of residency to be able to graduate without completing my last 15 credits on campus.

My reply to that was, "SWEET!"

So I jumped on that notion and applied immediately. I was already expected to renew my temple recommend at the stake level that next night, so I quickly finagled an ecclesiastical interview with my bishop shortly before my interview with the stake presidency so I could speed up the process.

All was sent in and I had my transcript form another school sent to this one saying I took my Math course requirement and only needed to take my physical science and upper level English classes to graduate in July.

Last week, I got a phone call back after wondering why I couldn't start registering for Fall classes. They said that I was too late in registering for classes for the Fall and had to wait until Winter. Discouraged, I asked if there was any way to still be able to take the classes in the Fall. She reluctantly said that I could reapply as a part-time/non-matriculating student by filling out one extra form and then mid-August, I might be able to squeeze in for the two classes, but if not, Winter will be set.

So there you have it. I am finally going to graduate college with something by July no matter what and then I will promptly transfer the rest of my credits to a local college to complete my original Bachelors one class at a time for the next several years ;0P

I'm way excited about it all and hope that the two classes I will have to take, won't severely beat me up too harshly being a mom with three kids during the bulk of my day.

YIPEE!!!!!

No comments: