Monday, August 24, 2009

First Day of Kindergarten

I was super nervous going in to today about how Hayden will do now that he is expected to go to Kindergarten.  Before going to school, I fed them cinnamon rolls and we got all ready and brushed our teeth.  I also took the opportunity to take some outside pictures of Hayden since I figured it would be too chaotic to get good ones once at the school.  We then all got into the car with our backpacks (Hadley wore her princess one there because she wanted to be a part of it all too) and drove to school. 


The morning drop off seemed like a whirlwind of a process.  There were no places to park in the parking lot so I parked in a nearby neighborhood and we walked over.  We were trying to get off the sidewalk to the crosswalk strip and the ramp down wasn't there.  There was just landscape mound of dirt and plants.  The stroller didn't bode well in the soft dirt because it started to tip.  I tried to steady it while holding on to Hadley but still struggled to get it upright totally again.  A nearby Dad saw my troubles and helped me finish the job.  Great start, eh?

We got to the playground area and we set down his backpack in the line by his door and then we started taking a bunch of pictures with his friends from Church who were also in his class.  Before I knew it, the bell had run and his teacher was lining everyone up to go inside.  She had all the parents stand on one side and she told the kids to blow a kiss goodbye and tell their parents not to worry and that you'll be fine.  And without saying goodbye and I'll see you soon, or hugging him, they filed into the classroom and that was that.

Crazy!  There was a Boo Hoo Wahoo breakfast at the school for anyone who wanted to stay and chat with others, but Hadley didn't seem up for sticking around so we just ducked in briefly and then proceeded back out of the school.  As we started to leave, Hadley had a separation anxiety attack and started crying and screaming and yelling, "HAYDEN!  HAYDEN!  Where's Hayden!  Oh no!  Where's Hayden!"  

Apparently, I hadn't prepped her efficiently.  I tried to calm her down and told her that Hayden had to go to school, but we'll be back in a couple hours to get him.  She then insisted on playing on the slides in the school yard and I promised her we would go play at the park together while we waited.

We made it back to the car and we went home to grab some water, freeze pops and snacks and then headed to the library for books and movies and then to a nearby park to play.  It was lots of fun running around.  We even took a break to eat our freeze pops.  We chased each other up the climbing wall and down the big blue slide.  I think she appreciated playing with me and it got her mind off Hayden being gone even though at first, she would run around the playground and shout, "Where are you Hayden?  Come on, let's go!  Hayden?"

When we got back to the school to pick Hayden up, we waited in the car looking at library books.  I was going to feed Addison while waiting too but she had fallen asleep so I decided to wait.  I watched his class play on the playground for a little and then went on the playground to wait for them to get out of class while back inside.  

The door opened and the teacher waited at the door, asking for your kid's name before releasing them to us.  Hayden caught my eye inside the classroom as I looked in from a distance.  He had a huge grin on his face, way excited to see me, we waved at each other and he came running out to get me.  I asked him if he had fun and he said yes!  Hadley gave him a huge hug and said, "Hayden, you're here!  ohhh."

Hayden's comments about his first day are in his journal to remember.  As we walked back to the car, his friends were all shouting by to each other and see you tomorrow.  


2 comments:

Ms. Boedee said...

His teacher use to teach at Thompson! She was another K teacher when Aiden went there. I hope that you Hayden loves her. And I am glad that you made it through the first day!

Laura said...

Sarah I came to the blog to read about Hayden and kindergarten and ended up reading all the august blogs. You are a really engaging writer, and you have a really good perspective of mom-life. I have loved every story.