Monday, October 19, 2009

Lost Pet

I am all for returning lost pets to people. I think its sad if someone loses a pet because it escaped from their home. However, I just have to preface this with, I DRAW THE LINE when it comes to insects and all creatures alike.


The other night, Jared got ready to go get the mail in the evening like he enjoys doing. I was wrapping dinner up with the kids. All of a sudden, I heard Jared say, "Sarah? Come here."

I walked over as he stood at the door with it partially opened and he then asked, "Did you put up any Halloween decorations out here?"

I replied with, "No. Why?"

Then he pointed to the floor and asked, "Is that real or fake?"

I looked down and to my horror and disgust, I saw the HUGEST Tarantula I HAVE EVER SEEN IN MY LIFE. WAIT! MY WHOLE LIFE BECAUSE I HAVE NEVER SEEN ONE IN PERSON. Seriously. This thing was huge. It had to be between 4 and 5 inches in length. GARGANTUAN! It was just sitting there in our open doorway on the inside of our house. I can STILL see the image in my head with the detail on the thorax and everything. I replied with, "No way! Where did it come from? I don't know if it's real."

Jared then explained that after he opened the door and walked out, he heard something drop from above him and then looked over and saw that sitting there. We then proceeded to stare at it to check for movement. We grabbed the camera and took pictures and then I went and got a broom and some on hand insecticide as if that would do anything to this HUGE TARANTULA. Did I mention it was HUGE?!

So Jared pokes it with a broom and it does move so it is alive and real and it crawls out of our doorway to the outside again. He grabs the spray and sprays it. It crawls over to the side of the house and he follows it while taking pictures. He gives it another good spray and then impales the thorax to make sure it is good and dead. He then sprayed the outside entryway really good, looking to see if anything else was lurking around.

When he got back inside the house, we realized that I had handed him a camera with no card so sorry for no pictures, but if you want to, you can peek around the corner of the house and take a glance at the dead carcass still.

Needless to say, we were both pretty buzzing after that encounter and I didn't want to go to sleep until I had some happy thoughts in my head so that if I woke up at night, I would still be able to fall back asleep. Thankfully, it worked out.

No comments: