Thursday, October 8, 2009

Park Play

A group of moms from school decided to get together at a park after school on Friday towards the beginning of the month. I prepped a bunch of food to bring with me so we could eat lunch and then come home for quiet time. I brought sandwiches and cookies and freeze pops because it was hot outside.

Surprisingly, both of my kids ate the lunch I packed for them which I found very exciting since it's a struggle sometimes and the cookies and freeze pops were a hit too. The six of us moms sat and chatted while the kids played on the playground and in the water.

An interesting part to our park day was the we were noticing a group of high school kids gathering in the parking lot. At first there were a dozen or so but that number soon grew into 30-40 kids. They all finally meandered on down to the very bottom corner opposite us. We were wondering why in the world they were there and what they were doing. It didn't take long for us to figure it out as we all of a sudden witnessed a circle of observers and two kids in the middle throwing punches. We couldn't believe it. One of my friends immediately picked up her cell phone and called the cops with info about it while others started yelling at them to knock it off and that we're calling the cops. The kids started to scramble and run while we tried to describe things for the cops as good as possible. As the barrage of cars peeled out, we kept yelling out the types of cars and their colors. I also took my nikon camera and snapped some shots of the kids leaving. It took the cops 15 minutes to get there and they were all gone by then of course. The area was patrolled for a little and as we left, the officer gave us his card so we could contact him directly next time it happens.

A rather eventful park visit if you ask me. Oh well, as long as the kids had fun and were safe, that's all that matters, right?

No comments: